Thursday 21 February 2013

Day 2 Gynae and Audit

Late post, sorry guys!
Day 2 started with Gynae clinic. There were a range of cases that had to be dealt with including Infertility, Prolapse and miscarriages. I got to see the doctor carry out some tests on a few of the patients. I was quite surprised with how open the patients were to me observing as gynae is one of the most intimate specialities of medicine. The 2 cases of Prolapse were very different. 1 patient was in her 60s and was having terrible pain so much that she could not get off her sofa and had to be assisted most of the time. The other lady was in her late 30s and her slimmer and younger nature meant her recovery was very quick. The doctor remembered a lot of the patients from previous meetings which made the patients feel a lot more comfortable. He also referred to them as being special to him when discussing to other doctors over the phone which made them feel able to bring up anything and it removed any awkwardness. There were some instances where he would put the patient down for a screening where it was not necessary but he felt it would make them feel more confident when results came negative, he told me it was all about making them feel relaxed and at peace of mind. It was interesting to see how the doctor handled the patients' problems as he is male. As a nurse there told me, "A male gynaecologist is like a mechanic who doesn't own a car". In general I learnt a lot from the clinic and didn't feel anywhere near as uncomfortable as I thought I would be.
After lunch I went to an audit with the other doctors who were involved in the Obs/Gynae part of the hospital. I had no idea what to expect before going, especially as one of the FY1s told me I'd be bored to death but it should help in my Med school applications process. It was basically a meeting where doctors presented cases which happened at the hospital recently and they all discussed the happenings and how they can improve their service. The 2 cases on this day were about a triplet birth and a baby of a teenage smoker. I didn't understand a lot of the technical terms but the general gist was quite exciting. The first case was talking about how the mother and the 3 babies had to moved to 2 hospitals as there were not enough incubators and cots for the 3 babies for the month or so they had to be looked after. It was interesting as everyone was involved in asking questions and answering each others, it was a very productive session.
Day 3 blog will come soon, I promise! x

No comments:

Post a Comment