Monday 1 July 2013

Opticians

I spent from 9:30 until 3:30 at Specsavers on Tuesday. I started by sitting in on 2 consultations with Moshi, a new optometrist who has just come out of the study process. He was very honest and straightforward so he gave me a good idea of the pros and cons of the degree and career. There were initial tests that checked the blood pressure in the eyes and took photos of the retina. Then there were tests to check the pupils and lenses were tried. I found this was repeated with every consultation. Mosh mentioned how it is a bit boring as it is so routined but it's not awful and it's a lot more interesting when you can interpret the results from the tests. He talked me through Glaucoma and Macular degeneration which I found interesting. Then I sat in 2 consultations with Jin who went through pretty much the same routine but in a different order. After this I was with Alice the pediatric nurse for a few consultations. These were also very similar but they also involved colour tests and 3D Tests. After Lunch I sat in Contact Lenses and watched them being put in for a woman. They then taught her to remove them. And that was the end of the day for me.
I honestly found it so boring, I was almost falling asleep during the consultations. Definitely don't wanna be doing Optometry unless I really have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment